Saturday, March 24, 2012

Superman: Scholarship Essay


So, I just finished applying for a scholarship using a revised version of of my blog post, I'm no Superman. The question to answer was: What was the most important lesson you have learned in your life? The following is the essay I submitted to WyzAnt.com: 

"I would like to start off this post quoting Lazlo Banes' famous song 'Superman;' you've probably heard it if you've seen the hit TV show Scrubs:

"Cause I know I can't do this on my own; no, I know...
I'm No Superman" 

While in the song Bane is talking about himself needing some random and nameless girl, I take meaning from it on a greater level. To me these lines are an omission to God that we can't go on alone; yes we can take care of ourselves, but on the inside we are a stormy ocean. There are those people out there that seem content with worldly possessions, they seem happy, but the happiness doesn't last; while the world may die around us (figuratively), God will never leave our side. There will come a time in life where a crisis will arise; it is times like these where God is there for us most. We are Gods children, and as a parent wants to help their child, God wants to help us.
         The most important lesson in my life has been this: I cannot do it alone; I need God. Jesus is my savior everyday just as he was over 2,000 years ago to all of humanity. I need to be saved; I am His damsel in distress. I can’t do this on my own; I need His grace. I’m only human; I’m no Superman."


     Would you please do me the honor of clicking on the link below and voting for my essay so I might be given a generous scholarship so I can attend Multnomah University to study Music Ministry and Biblical Studies? 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment