Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The "Word" Ain't...

So, for some time now I have been bothered by my simplest pet peeve: the so-called word ain't. This is NOT a word. Where does this phrase come from might you ask? Well, I'll tell you. This "word" comes from two contractions, the real words Aren't and Isn't; aren't being the contracted form of "are not" and isn't being the contracted form of "is not." If you didn't already know. Anywho, if the English language teaches us anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, it tells us that you CANNOT have a contraction of two contractions. Who thought up this word?! I just don't understand it. Are we really that lazy that we cannot distinguish between a word used in negative context for plural nouns (aren't) and words used for singular nouns (isn't)? So we create a middle term that can be used for both? We aren't that lazy! Goodness...I'm pleading with those of you who hate this term as I do to INFORM YOUR FRIENDS! "Ain't" is a plague! The best cure is to this illness is to show them the best two vaccines against it, the words AREN'T and ISN'T :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment