Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The War Against Reality.

     I believe that every person, at least every man, is born with this innate desire for adventure. It's part of what we call an imagination, but it's what drives us to create superheroes and alter egos. We read these great tales of adventure such as Harry Potter or see shows like Avatar: the Last Airbender, and we just think it's cool, they're fun to watch, but doesn't it bring a little glimmer to your heart? Aren't they a reminder of what we used to be?
     I believe people write books about fantastical adventures and stories because of this desire for adventure. These tales aren't just whims of the imagination, but what they had hoped would happen as a child; maybe they didn't openly tell their parents oh I hope to receive a letter today saying I'm a wizard or attempt to convince themselves that a Jedi Master would come and select them as the next to join the ranks of that ancient group of peace protectors, but these are maybe the subconscious reflections of what they played in their backyards as children.
     These are the dreams we have. As kids we try to live these amazing journeys, knowing all along that they aren't real, but praying that they might one day become so. As we grow however the little child we are born with slowly backs off to let us live our lives without disturbance, he's still there, but he isn't pushing us to pursue what we now believe impossible. Our childhood imagination is replaced by what we've dubbed Reality.
     Some of us still hold this "inner child" in our minds. I see movies like Star Wars and trailers for the new movie John Carter (based off a book I recently started reading, A Princess of Mars) and I remember this desire for adventure. It's who I am. I'm now 18 and I still hold fast what I did as a child. I'm not insane, I just want a full life. I want to wage war on "reality," because where do dreams come from if not from imagination? Allow your inner child to flourish. Adventure happens when we let it. I'm not suggesting delusions of grandeur, but letting yourself fulfill your dreams. When you tell yourself that you can't, that's when you can't. That's when you've truly let go and when reality has its greatest hold.
     So that's why I say let reality have it's cake, but know that you can have yours. Smile and let go; wage the war against Reality because life without imagination and adventure just doesn't seem worth it. Live life; you only have one, so make every moment as fun as you possibly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment